Sunday, October 27, 2013

On whose dime?



This past week I have spent a great deal of time trying to definitely find information on Potter’s Field in St. Louis. I have found bits and pieced but nothing that tells me about how if remains of those interred there where moved a different location. Perhaps I would have more luck if I had names of the people buried there but I do not. The records of the people that were buried at Potter’s Field and that were patients at the city hospitals were not the best kept records. What I have found is backing up information of my last post. The St. Louis Potter’s Field was in close proximity to City Hospital (or Insane Asylum), the City Poor House, The Chronic Hospital, and the Female Hospital. The building with the dome is the Insane Asylum. On the same side of the street is the City Poor House and across the street is the Female Hospital. What is not shown in the picture is behind the City Poor House is where the Potter’s Field used to be located.
 Figure 1[1]


In total frustration I told one of the librarians the trouble I was running into trying to locate information on St. Louis’ Potter’s Field. I told her I was beginning to think that it did not really exist. Just then one of the volunteers said, “I remember Potter’s Field. It was at the intersection of Fyler and Hampton. I used to play in there when I was a child!” Ahhh, finally I know I am not going crazy trying to search for this. And I am not the only one running into a dead end trying to find information on this (no pun intended there). Here is a link to people trying to locate family members that have been interred in St. Louis City Cemetery. http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.missouri.counties.stlouis/5470/mb.ashx

At least the librarian gave me some very helpful information about whom to contact at the history department. Hopefully next week’s post will be the proof that I have been searching for all along. However, while I was explaining why I am searching for Potter’s Field in St. Louis I was asked an excellent question. I told the librarian that I was looking for evidence that Potter’s Field is often relocated to make way for construction purposes. I explained that Potter’s Fields are municipal cemeteries where poor and unknown people are buried. The question the librarian asked me was, "At whose expense is the burial?" In her opinion, if it was the city’s expense then the city should have every right to reinter the bodies if the space is needed. Huh, I never thought about it that was but I wholeheartedly agree. However, I still think that the city should at least move the remains prior to construction instead of leaving the remains in place. So, I have changed my thoughts about moving cemeteries a little bit. IF there is a need for moving cemeteries, I feel they should indeed be moved, not constructed over. Leaving a cemetery in place to be constructed over is complete disrespect for the dead. 

And the search continues…


References:



No comments:

Post a Comment