Thursday, September 12, 2013

What caused contemporary American culture to lose respect for the less fortunate dead?

I was about 8 years old when I noticed a small section of the highway was split around a tiny piece of land. The amount of land seemed so small that I wondered why the highway was built around it. I did what any 8 year-old child would do...I asked my mother about it. She told me that a family graveyard was there and out of respect for the dead the highway was built around it. Respect for the dead. That phrase stayed with me all of this time.

As I grew up I became interested in Urban Planning and Design for a potential career path. This is when I found out that sometimes it is necessary to relocate cemeteries. Going back to the statement mother told me years ago, "Respect for the dead,” came back to mind. Was my mother lying to me when she told me that? Or has our society lost our respect for the dead?

Over the course of American history is has been common practice for Potter’s Fields, or other unknown graves, to be either completely removed or relocated for construction purposes. I would like to know why that is. My guess is that is all comes down to money, although I hope that isn’t the case. I also am aware the population of the United States is rapidly growing. Perhaps it is just a matter of needing space for the growing population. No matter what the reason is I hope that is not purely based on a loss of respect for the less fortunate dead.

So my research begins…

4 comments:

  1. Dawn,

    I clicked on your blog post for its intriguing title of "moving cemeteries". I will admit that my head literally thought of a cemetery up an moving all by itself but that is just my mind being weird. I had never thought about how cemeteries are bypassed, cut through, or even completely relocated before. After reading you blog post my mind is thinking back to all those unmarked graves throughout history and what has happened to them. It makes a person think about just what happened to all those ancestral cemeteries? Is that old gravel road that leads to the back 40 cutting through something more that rocks and dirt?

    I really think that your research topic will begin to make people think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start. Good introduction to your topic. Good first research steps as well, including images and links to relevant information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting topic. When I was a child, I often accompanied my father to cemeteries. He was fascinated by them and always took the family to at least one graveyard every time we traveled to a new city. While he wondered around looking at headstones, I often found a quite spot to read or sometimes even nap. I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also clicked on your link as I was interested in moving cemeteries. After reading I now have a new understanding. I never knew how the construction and urban developement came into play. I do know that after a certain amount of years they build houses on top of cemeteries like.

    ReplyDelete